h

Monday, June 12, 2006
Calculator
 
Work had a little employee contest in honor of one of their calculators hitting it's 25 year anniversary, and still being sold today practically unchanged. The contest was to win one of the anniversary calculators by telling a story about how the calculator affected my life. Given my unusual track record of winning things at work...I went ahead and did it. Here was my submission:

As a kid, I saw my mom go back to school to get her Computer Science degree. I grew up drawing on greenbar paper and punch cards, typing on her clunky homemade terminal, and playing with this calculator (except it seemed to work backwards!) It was a fixture at the house, laying by the bills or her homework, and seeing a picture of it instantly transports me to that time in my life. I went on to get my own excellent HP calculator, and my own Computer Science degree...and she still uses her 12c!

HP 12c platinum anniversary edition


Comments: Post a Comment